• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Martial arts, MMA, traditional martial arts etc for fitness, health and self defense.

freddy47

Bluelighter
Ok just wanted to see how many of my fellow bluelighters train in some form of martial arts and (in their opinion/experience) how effective it is as a form weight loss and for general health.

I've been training in traditional Chinese Kung Fu since I was a kid. Coming from a fairly traditional Chinese family this was just kind expected of me. My dad trained in it as well as my Grandfather and great grandfather and so on and so forth. And it has kept me fit and in shape pretty well. Lately I've also been training with other arts such as Muy Thai, some Judo (not from a Judo dojo but from friends who train in Judo) and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (also not from a trainer but from friends who train in it) as well as boxing and sanshou/sanda which is pretty much Chinese kick boxing. In other words Kung fu with a modified set of kickboxing rules. These being punches kicks knees and elbows, but also throws from the clinch if you can do them within three seconds after clinching otherwise the ref breaks it up.

Anyway to me martial arts are a way of learning how to defend yourself as well as a way of keeping in shape and healthy. Sparring especially keeps my mind and body sharp.

But I can see how this aspect of learning martial arts (getting hit and hitting others) can be seen as unhealthy with concussions and broken bones being somewhat common injuries if you spar which any legitimate martial arts school will have you do. So my question is this. Does this aspect of training turn those of you who haven't trained in martial arts off? Is it worth it to you?

Also to those who train what do you train in and how long have you trained?

Thanks.

i wrestled for 8yrs and have always trained striking/moving with heavy-bag and speedbag.

wrt weightloss, there's a lot of potential in these activities, more than in many areas actually, but weightloss is far more a function of diet than of training.

wrt general health, that's a tough one. psych health? physical health? i know that i simply cannot train mma/boxing, because i cannot take strikes too well in these settings (i get massive migraines after a couple well-placed punches), but let's say i could handle that- would a high-intensity training session that includes headstrikes be 'healthy'? surely it's good for the lungs/muscles, but bad for the brain. wrt *psych* health, i think there's something to be said for being confident in striking and moving on your feet, probably more than most are willing to admit. i am disgusted by non-consensual fighting, but i won't pretend that, on occasion, i don't find i'm comfortable/confident in certain scenarios because of knowing i can handle myself (being around drunks/bar settings is one example that comes to mind - while i typically would do anything to avoid fighting, i can enjoy myself with friends more in a bar/club setting by being confident around the more aggressive douchebags that populate such places :D )

(EDIT: since i'm in a 'temporary' house right now, i don't even have a proper heavy bag, i have a canvas bag rigged up with sand, rope and carabeeners that i hang from a tree out back like 1x/week probably. any more than that and i don't like what the training does to my wrists..)

I did martial arts for a few years ,Boxing now with my 2 boys 15 ,and 18

Love boxing .

Exercise is the best drug there is .

was just very glad that today was warm enough that i could end my winter hiatus of body weaponization. Very glad to know I can stop kicking metal poles for 3 months, and my shins loose little in the way of sensitivity. so much to say, so little time, perhaps ill continue this train of thought later.

few things amaze me more than the ability of the human body to transform and adapt. few things realize this more than kung fu.

-oss

The simulated 'fighting' does definitely help you from experience. It kicks your fight/flight system into gear - the core of instinct basically something that all animals do (I think?), you use your fighting when you are literally fighting through sparring and flight when your doing exercise while training such as running. It helps you learn to control that sensation, especially in a fighting scenario as it's what you've trained for and helps keep anxiety etc at bay. Also always healthy to be able to control those emotions you experience in those situations.

As for the contact, there's no harm in a few deadened nerves in your arm. ;) In ten years of training I've never broken a bone - *touch wood*.

I did some short term TKD training when I was a lot younger and learned some locks in BJJ from a friend. i enjoyed my short term sport fighting. I still do some speed bag punching during my workouts (between sets for "active recovery"). there's just that awesome feeling you get doing punches and kicks. maybe its something ill look to getting back into. I like submission fighting as I get pleasure in forcing a joint past its range of motion...

I have wrestled for 3 years, started my sophomore year in highschool. I think wrestling/mma is very good for your health... it has helped me achieve a solid lower body and a neck that is larger than most people my age group... as wrestling extensively trains your neck.

Wrestling/intense exercise is not only good for my physical body but I feel it is good for my mental health too.

On weight loss, any vigorous physical activity will help you lose weight.. you just need a balanced diet with a calorie deficit

Been training in brazilian jiu-jitsu for about 8 months. Shit gets me through the week. Also thinking of using the muay thai gym near my house at some point.

Y'all got any advice for someone who's never done martial arts before? I'm thinking about getting into some sort of martial arts training. Can someone give me a very basic rundown of the differences between the arts? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Pick what you do based on your perception of the teacher. If you take it all the way, it doesnt really matter what martial art youre doing, its how you do it.

I hadn't thought of it that way at all. Thanks!

Any advice for someone who is on the taller and lankier side? I have muscle and I'm in shape, I'm just quite tall. I don't think grappling forms or ground based forms would work well for me. Someone I know recommended tai ji, and kung fu styles shaolin or praying mantis.

I know next to nothing about martial arts though.

I've done boxing since I was a kid so that comes pretty naturally to me. Defence was the first thing i ever learned, dancing around the ring and fooling the opponent into what way you will move. Very good for cardio IMO

I started kick-boxing when I was working in the mines; my instructor was a beast of a fighter, he trained with a couple of Aussie greats ie Jeff Fenech and trained an olympic boxer. I learned a lot from this guy, he taught me even more about defence, the importance of balance (sometimes i'd do nothing but balance exercises the whole class) and maintaining offence for extended periods of times eg throwing short, quick jabs for 3 mins at a time, then 3 mins off, 3 mins jabbing, 3 mins off. This guy was scary, he'd throw punches at me randomly and i'd have to deflect/dodge them lol.

I have done a little bit of BJJ. Its pretty damn good for you, especially as if someone attacks you it often goes to the floor. I might get back into this soon.

I got invited to go start out Krav Maga (which isn't really a martial art its more a form of self defence). It is a mixture of boxing, Muay Thai, jiu-jitsu, wrestling, and grappling. Focuses on real world situations that one might encounter in the street. The Israeli defence force learns this one.

Took kempo when I was in the navy...great for keepin weight off,etc....its hard when youre tall...like to try kickboxing though

Muay Thai, it may be ugly, but it's brutally effective and you can be functional in the ring within 8 months. There aren't a tonne of twirling forms to learn.

San Shao, Roman-Greco, BJJ, Combatives, and Wing Chun. In that order.

For weight-loss I am not sure. I have seen some pretty hefty practitioners in all arts. I know a Grand-Master in Wing Chun that weighs nearly 300lbs. He has a medical condition now, and he was fit back when he was actually learning the art. I have seen chubby Wrestlers and everything though. Can you lose weight, yes. Will you for sure lose weight, depends on whether or not you are active otherwise and what your caloric intake looks like.

Training in Krav Maga for over 4 years now. Its a nasty self-defense system that I honestly hope I never have to use but it is fun to train in. The best aspect about KM is that anyone can learn it and that is what it was designed for so if you are in a bad situation, you can go home that night. I've only broken one bone (big toe in my very first sparring session lol) but I crave the work outs almost on a daily basis. It has definitely toughened me up both mentally and physically. In Krav, it is compulsory to spar because you are training to inflict damage on someone else in order to defend yourself. If you dont want to hit another person or get hit, Krav is probably not for you.

Overall, it is good cross training for other activities I enjoy and keeps me active during the week.

Glad to see so many of fellow bluelighters are martial artists.

So how many of you train just for fun? And how many of you train to actually be able to defend yourself in a situation that might require a physical confrontation? For me it is both. I love to train just because I find it fun and rewarding. But I also like the fact that if I need to fight then I can adequately defend my self if I have to.

@Joeof1 That is quite the combination there. I need to get into grappling more myself. As of right now I only know enough grappling to defend my self against takedowns and a few submissions such as the armbar, gogoplata, and the omnoplata. Since you do wrestling and BJJ I gotta ask. Which one do you find to be more effective? I could see how both has its advantages. But for takedowns I feel Judo would be more effective than greco-roman which from what I understand requires a lot of brute strength am I right?

Training in Krav Maga for over 4 years now. Its a nasty self-defense system that I honestly hope I never have to use but it is fun to train in. The best aspect about KM is that anyone can learn it and that is what it was designed for so if you are in a bad situation, you can go home that night. I've only broken one bone (big toe in my very first sparring session lol) but I crave the work outs almost on a daily basis. It has definitely toughened me up both mentally and physically. In Krav, it is compulsory to spar because you are training to inflict damage on someone else in order to defend yourself. If you dont want to hit another person or get hit, Krav is probably not for you.

Overall, it is good cross training for other activities I enjoy and keeps me active during the week.

from Wiki about Krav Maga

" It was derived from street-fighting skills developed by Slovak-Israeli martial artist Imi Lichtenfeld, who made use of his training as a boxer and wrestler, as a means of defending the Jewish quarter against fascist groups in Bratislava[2] in the mid-to-late 1930s. In the late 1940s"

I am searching for practial martial art,I am slovak and I live in Bratislava!! I think I just set on this this,thanks!! :D

Glad to see so many of fellow bluelighters are martial artists.

So how many of you train just for fun? And how many of you train to actually be able to defend yourself in a situation that might require a physical confrontation? For me it is both. I love to train just because I find it fun and rewarding. But I also like the fact that if I need to fight then I can adequately defend my self if I have to.

@Joeof1 That is quite the combination there. I need to get into grappling more myself. As of right now I only know enough grappling to defend my self against takedowns and a few submissions such as the armbar, gogoplata, and the omnoplata. Since you do wrestling and BJJ I gotta ask. Which one do you find to be more effective? I could see how both has its advantages. But for takedowns I feel Judo would be more effective than greco-roman which from what I understand requires a lot of brute strength am I right?

I imagine most people do it for both fun and self defense.

As for wrestling vs bjj. As far as I'm aware the initial reasons behind the formation of bjj was to create a grappling style martial art for smaller, less physically built individuals based on applying technique to beat a stronger opponent. Thing is, that was then. Now people combine strength with their bjj (some of the guys at my gym are in the back deadlifting ridiculous amounts before training, for example) so a smaller guy might be at a slight disadvantage fighting a bigger guy of equal rank. If you're looking to be able to learn solid takedowns I guess it all depends on your physical size. A smaller guy would probably benefit more from Judo, whereas a bigger guy from greco roman, being that Judo, like bjj, is largely based on technique over strength.